Most enterprises or firms are involved in trading of goods,services or both in return of money. The goal is to have utmost profit, by having maximum sales as compared to minimal expenditure. The secret to a flourishing business lies within an idea that earns maximum profit. Here comes the role of an accountant;he or she is the person who acts as a financial advisor in all middle and large scale companies. In smaller businesses,the job of an accountant is restricted to financial operations, such as, data collection, entry and report generation. Accountants play a pivotal role in commercial success of any business. Every company is in continuous need of good accountants. They are considered to be drivers of successful business.
So, with a professional degree in accounting; your chances of being a part of big business houses are quite high. However, the selection procedure followed by most of the companies,becomes a tough nut to crack. Following are some of the interview questions that you may be asked.
It goes without saying,that an accountant needs to have great math skills. However, before we discuss the core accounting interview questions, the first and foremost thing is to have a good resume that gives an idea of all your accounting skills and your work exposure. Your resume acts as a ticket to the selection process. So, preparing a good resume is your first task.
When your resume is impressive,it means you have moved one step ahead in your journey. Your communication skills, confidence and posture are also equally important as your accounting skills; because, at the end of the day, interview is an interaction between two individuals.
Sample interview questions for accounting interviews:
- Why do you want to become an accountant?
- How do you describe a good accountant?
- How can you increase the revenue of your company when it is running at 30 percent loss?
- How do you maintain confidentiality?
- What is your idea of cost cutting and saving time?
- What are ethical methods of accounting?
- Do you think accounting is a routine job?
- How do you cope with this monotonous job?
- Questions on computer and maths skills are very common
Some questions on Accounts Reports, Accounts Payable and Receivable:
- How to calculate values for goodwill's?
- What are items that fall on a balance sheet?
- What are the three golden rules of accounts?
- Explain FIRC accounting?
- What are various methods of payment and charge?
- What is asset accounting?
- How to prepare MIS report?
- Explain TDS?
- What is VAT?
- Procedures for account payable?
- How do you file sales tax for construction business?
- What is the main difference between unearned revenue and unbilled receivables?
- Explain bank reconciliation?
- What is the importance of account receivable in business?
- What are the goals of account receivable?
- What is auto invoice?
- What is a stale cheque? What are its remedies?
- When do we need cash application? Explain steps involved?
What questions can you expect if you already have experience as an accountant?
- If you have experience in accounting, you may be asked about your primary responsibilities in your company?
- What were the challenging aspects of your work?
- Tell me about some complex project that you had to complete under deadline?
- What was the toughest task in your career as an accountant?
- What is your idea about expressive creative accounting?
- Describe a stressful condition at work and how do you handle it?
- Different accounting softwares you are familiar with? What is the recent software being used in the industry?
These are some of the questions regarding your work. The interviewer expects you to give a detailed illustration of your job responsibilities as an accountant in your previous company. So be very clear about your work experience and share every detail necessary.
Hope you have got an idea about the complete interview process which is followed in most companies. Gear up and prepare so that you excel in your upcoming interviews.